Thursday, April 19, 2007

Only In Israel #11: A Yom Hashoah Thought, The Day After


This was orignally posted on Kumah a few days ago...As the siren blared yesterday and I stood still along with everyone else on Kanfei Nesharim Street in Givat Shaul reflecting on the immeasurable horrors that transpired upon our nation it occurred to me that I am standing on a busy street in Jerusalem looking around at hundreds of other Jews who are all also residents of the Jewish State also standing and reflecting on the immeasurable horrors that occurred to our nation while standing still on a busy street in Jerusalem.

Think about that.

I don’t know if there could be any thought that could begin to comfort the Jewish People from our loss. Still it is at least an uplifting feeling to actually be united as one nation sharing our sorrow together – if only for a minute… and something that could only be experienced one place in the world.

We must never forget our past even as we build a brighter future.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is certainly an incredible tradition that we stop e v e r y t h i n g three times a year and stand. Five minutes (2, 1, 2) of every year, the whole country stops moving.

I got to tell you that since a few years ago, I've stopped wasting the time of the sirens and I say tehillim instead for the souls of the martyrs. I realized that on those special secular days (holocaust and memorial), I(we) reflect a lot during the day itself, but how much time do we take to do something spiritual?

Think about it; instead of 6 million people spacing out, we could all be saying tehillim at the same time. Who knows how much powerful that would be?

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home