Saturday, December 10, 2005

Bringing "Shtick" to the Next Level



Why am I just finding out about this now?

(Oh yeah, I quit my job, made aliyah and spent the last 5 months in intensive ulpan. Now that that’s done I got to get a job so I have time to catch up on my blog reading and Hashkafah.com. So cut me some slack!)

What I wrote below is pure unverified hearsay that is absolutely inadmissible in a court of law. In any event here’s what I’ve been able to scrap together. (And I expect eventually someone will get me all the proper fact so I can correct any inaccuracies.)

Apparently a couple of years ago (Dave) David Lavon, a yeshiva guy from Chicago learning in Beis in Neve Yaakov decided for Pesach Bein Hazmanim to stop off in London for a few days with some friends before heading to the US. Nothing unusual about that. But “just for shtick” he and his buddies decided to film a music video. Hey some people go to Zoo.

Dave, clearly talented both in front of and behind the camera, produced, directed, edited, and stared in a video dubbed to the Chevra’s popular “L’cha.” Apparently Mr. Lavon has made other videos as well and is the center of attention at weddings. As for “L’cha,” like the all others the finished product was only distributed between his friends via CD. Till someone somewhere uploaded it to google video.

Fast forward - a few months of e-mail forwarding and also plenty of blogging
and blogging,
and blogging,
and blogging,

and blogging,
and blogging,
and blogging,
and blogging,
and blogging,
and blogging,
and blogging
and blogging,
and more blogging still...

and Dave’s a Jewish celebrity, and undoubtedly the target of frum Shaddchin everywhere (that’s the kosher version.)

Now for my commentary: How could you not be impressed with the quality of this production? The direction, editing and creativity is breathtaking. So much so that I’m going to hold off on the commentary for now.

It IS the ultimate shtick. And it reminds me of some other yeshiva guys in C.C. that can be just as “shticky” if not better.

Oye, but would the Hanhalah approve?

(If the top link doesn't work you can also try to watch it here.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home