Thursday, October 21, 2004

Aliyah File Number: 12345

No, that's not my real number. I'm not about to post that on the Internet - but the point is I HAVE AN ALIYAH FILE!!!

And it was SO easy! Really. Maybe it's because I lowered my expectation enough but it really wasn't all that bad. And I do agree it's not the worst thing in the world for Americans to be exposed to the realities of Israeli Bureaucracy. This way we are prepared for what's to come. That said there is still no reason so much bureaucracy has to exist anywhere. If there is a better way to do things why not do things the better way? So if NBN comes out with a great way to fill out all the paperwork on the plane flight to Israel - power to them!

So what's to write - Wednesday I showed up for my appointment with my Shliach. The receptionist had me fill out and sign a few short forms. After a 10 - 15 minute wait I got to find out which Shliach was assigned to me. (It's was Ido - Yes! I was hoping it would be him.) He asked me some questions.

What's you plan?

Well, I really want to take intensive ulpan right away. I'm thinking Ulpan Etzion. And while I'm there I'll look for an apartment and a job. Does that sound like a good plan?


It sounds like a very good plan!

Coolness, I thought. Five years of homework finally pays off.

Well that was the easy part. He then proceeded to hand me a rather large stack of forms I have to fill out and mail back. I have to get a letter from my Rabbi that I'm Jewish. And I have to dig up my old passport. So it looks like I have my work cut out for me. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home